Talismark, a trusted provider of waste services, represents a variety of regional and national clients, ranging from commercial and residential real estate groups to retailers, corporations and more. Talismark’s role is to oversee the waste hauler/client relationship and secure the best pricing, negotiate favorable terms for the client, navigate regulations, and ultimately, hold haulers accountable. Talismark’s dedication to customer satisfaction is evident through a client retention rate of 95%.
The ongoing challenges for Talismark are to:
- Continually create new value to maintain long-term customer relationships and gain new clients
- Differentiate from competitors through innovative and forward-thinking solutions
- Reduce their own operating costs to compete at market rates.
Continuously looking for ways to improve Talismark’s service offerings, Jim Bentley, Chief Operating Officer, decided having access to consistent fullness and service data of waste containers would enable Talismark to have an unmatched level of daily oversight across all customer locations and lead to more opportunities for savings.
He first turned to ultrasonic (sonar) sensors, but quickly realized the limitations of the technology. Verifying fullness levels and service proved difficult without continuing to conduct manual spot checks. Jim decided in order to have accurate, reliable data, he would need the equivalent of eyes in each container. In July 2017, Jim switched sensor providers and equipped 740 containers with Compology’s image-based sensors which would finally provide Talismark remote oversight not only over the fullness, but also the contents of each container.
“With image-based sensors, we can not only make sure our clients pay for what they’re actually getting, year round, but also audit waste streams to identify contamination and improve our client’s disposal practices to eliminate unnecessary costs. And we can do this all remotely instead of having to spot check containers in-person.“ – Jim Bentley – Chief Operating Officer – Talismark
With the implementation of Compology’s image-based container monitoring system, Talismark not only reduces its own operating costs by eliminating the need for manual audits, but it can now also provide its clients with unmatched service:
1. Waste Oversight 24/7/365: Image-based sensor allow Talismark to monitoring the location, fullness, content and service of customer containers 365 days a year, providing oversight into both hauler practices and their customers disposal habits across all locations.
2. Indisputable Service Verification: Compology’s sensors provide Talismark with multi-point service verification based on images, container tilt and change in fullness levels. Talismark can confirm receipt of service or identify any missed pickups making sure their customer only pay for service received and get credited for missed pickups.
3. Waste Characterization & Generator Education: With access to up-to-date and historical images, Talismark can help educate its customers to improve disposal practices associated with unnecessary costs. For example, Talismark can identify the content of any container, spot any sign of contamination and inform their customers to attend to the issue. As an example, Talismark may notice that a customer is not breaking down boxes before disposing of them. Sharing this intel with customers helps them improve disposal practices (breaking down boxes before disposal) and utilize their container more efficiently resulting in fewer necessary pickups – saving them money.
4. Container Utilization Optimization: With the ability to accurately track container fullness levels, Talismark can make sure its customers no longer pay to “haul air”. Talismark can make sure service is only provided at the fill-level threshold that makes sense for the customer and type of waste.
5. Overage Tracking: Haulers often charge for overages when a container overflows. By monitoring the fullness level of every container, Talismark can communicate with haulers about pick-up times and also inform their customers to take the necessary actions to avoid overage costs.
6. Meet Regulations: Talismark can analyze data and create reports through Compology’s web-based software to support customer compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
Click here for more informationClick here for related articles and news on Image-Based SensorsSearch for Image-Based Sensor Manufacturers in our Equipment Guide
“ Improved oversight through the use of image-based sensor technology sets Talismark apart from the competition. They can now more confidently advocate for clients, holding vendors more accountable with accurate, up-to-date and indisputable data. “ – Jason Gates – CEO – Compology
Sign up for Instrumentation and Control E-Updates
Recent Instrumentation and Control e-newsletters
Read our last “Instrumentation and Control” e-newsletter campaigns here: